Vote for the best and worst of WWE Summerslam!
We did this for WrestleMania and the Royal Rumble, and at Jordan’s all intelligent behest, we have decided to record a couple of audios dedicated to the best and the worst of WWE Summerslam! We need your votes: Please comment on this post with your top five and bottom five Summerslams of all time. The criteria is up to you, but chances are if you have been a fan long enough to have an opinion, the criteria will come out in the wash across the board. Whether it was your favorite, had the best matches, or was boring or had the worst build-up or worst main event, whatever, just vote! Sometime on or about Aug. 12, we’ll compile your votes, add ours, and start recording shows!
Best: 1. 2002. Good matches up and down the card.
2. 2000 See above
3. 1998 Everything the WWF did was on fire and the build to Summerslam 98 was superb.
4. 1989 Main Event was what the Spaniards would call El Terrible, but the Busters vs Harts and Rockers/Tito vs Frenchmen match made this a very enjoyable show..
5. 2001 Austin vs Angle!
Worst: 1. 1995. Diesel vs Mabel. That’s all.
2. 1994 Taker vs Taker?
3. 1993 Some good, but a lot of bad
4. 1997. Los motherfuckin Boricuas
5. 2007. Finlay vs Kane is not a PPV match.
shouldn’t it be the best and worst of SummerFest??!!
1. Summerslam 2002: great show from top to bottom with Shawn Michaels delivering the greatest one man performance of all time (yes better than Flair at Rumble ’92)
2.1998: the height of Vince Russo’s booking career.
3.1991: A fun show from beginning to end with all of the babyfaces going over in the big matches. Maybe you had to watch it from the eyes of a child.
4. 2000: A great show from a great period
5a. 1999: I might like this one more than most but its a fun show with some really good matches
5b. 1989: Some really good action on the undercard capped off by the Ultimate Warrior having easily the best match of his career to that point. That match is in my opinion the peak of the IC title in WWE.
1. 2007: Absolutely nothing worth watching since the best match has been done a 1,000 times since then
2. 2003: Coach turned heel on Shane McMahon. Need I say more. Ok I will. Triple H killing Goldberg. Or how about RVD/Kane possibly blowing more spots than any other WWE ppv match in history.
3. 2006: If ever a show was too bloated, this is it. Cena/Edge, DX/McMahons, Foley/Flair, and Hogan/Orton all on the same show was too much. When you put Hogan on 3rd and the crowd never comes back there’s a problem.
4. 1995: Mabel in the main event and a severely overrated Lader Match highlight a pretty average ho-hum edition of the Summer spectacular.
5. 1994: I like the Cage Match and little is actively bad outside the main event but its a largely boring show.
I should add that other than my top 2 I’ve never really hated a Summerslam. Overall I think it is annually the most consistently good ppv. I also will say that maybe I overrate the early shows and the Attitude Era shows due to how much fun I had watching those shows w/ my family and friends in the moment.
See cali’s list above. He summered it up like I would have. Although I probably should have 1999 at the top since I was there.
I’ll add to my 1991 comments that the show features the single greatest 3 man announce crew ever. Heenan and Piper ripping on each other for 3 straight hours is gold.
#1 – ZEUS
#2 – Brock-Rock, a torch passing moment even though the live crowd knew Rock was going back to Hollywood