We need your vote: Five Best/Five Worst WrestleManias!
Hey friendos, remember how we asked for your votes for the five best and five worst Royal Rumbles so we could offer you some retro audios right before this year’s event? We’re doing the same for WrestleMania! You know you have your favorites, and you know damn well you have WrestleManias you don’t think were worthy of being In Your Houses. So leave a comment and deposit your votes at the end of this post. Please order them from 1-5, and feel free to leave short comments as to why you ranked the ones you did where you did. Your votes will be tallied and added to our own, and we will crank out some delicious retro audios shortly before WrestleMania 25!
Best: 1. XIX, Historical Signifagance (Hogan vs Vince, Austin vs Rock), Workrate (Lesnar vs Angle, HBK vs Jericho), Big Stadium Atmosphere
2. X7: This was like that last great high school party before entering the real world. The last great show of the tail end of Attitude, right before they started fucking things up left and right.
3. X: Bret vs Owen in the best opener in Mania history and Shawn, a Ladder, and a drunk wrestle a 5 star classic
4: VIII: This was THE Mania when I was a kid. Flair vs Savage was epic, as was Piper vs Bret. And I marked HUGE for Warrior’s comeback.
5. XX: Would have been top 3 if it weren’t for a child murdering bastard ruining it for everyone.
1. XI, Shawn vs Diesel was a miracle, but not enough to distract from Allied Powers vs Blu Twins.
2. IX: Wow, what a clusterfuck of a year 1993 was. Headshrinkers throwing Scott Steiner over the top rope onto his head saves it from being the worst.
3. II: Like someone took a dump in three locations.
4. XVI (2000): Head Cheese and Bull Buchanan at Wrestlemania?
5. XIII: God bless Austin and Bret, because this gets 5 loose stools out of 5 if you take out the “I Quit” match.
1) 4 (Far and away the most boring Mania, Trump looked like he could barely keep his eyes open)
5) 10 (yeah, Bret vs. Owen was good, not great, and the ladder match still holds up, but every other match sucked, the commentary sucked, the guest celebrities all sucked, and the crowd just kinda sat there looking at it)
These are my favorites and least favorites. These are not graded on “workrate,34 star matches, blah, blah” just the ones I like/hate.
5 16 (I quit watching during the attitude era, it was high school and I was bucking trends, I didn’t miss much. Besides I couldn’t get away from it, it was everywhere.)
2. 4 (I’m one of the people who like the tournament)
5. 2: Novel concept, horribly executed.
4. VII: Still nobody cares about Sarge.
3. IV: Tournament made the show slower than Christmas.
2. IX: Cop out finishes, Giant Gonzalez, and JR in a toga.
1. 2000 (16): Biggest letdown given the deepest talent roster
5. XIV: Michaels vs. Austin & Taker vs. Kane saved the show
4. 13: Austin vs. Bret, plus Taker’s first WM title win, both moments felt hugely significant at the time.
3. X: Bret vs. Owen and IC Ladder Match elevate the whole show.
2. XXIV: Flair vs. Flair retirement match, reason enough to make this one of the best.
1. X-Seven: All-around best show
Best: (Best matches and favorite trainwrecks)
1- III (Hogan/Andre, Steamboat/Savage, Hercules/Billy Jack Haynes)
2- VI (Hogan/Warrior, Demolition/Andre and Haku, Duggan/Bravo)
3- X (Bret/Owen, Razor/HBK, Alundra Blayze/Leilani Kai)
4- 13 (Hart/Austin, Taker/Sid, Billy Gnn/Flash Funk)
5- XX (Guerrero/Angle, HBK/HHH/Benoit, Goldberg/Lesnar)
Worst: ( I can’t bring myself to recall the horrors)
1. X-7: The climax of the Attitude Era and the best major show ever!
2. III: The definition of a supercard, a fun watch all the way through which you can’t say about the next 6.
3. X: Two of the greatest matches of all time all on one show, also a fun watch all the way through in my opinion.
4. XIV: A lot of people say this show doesn’t hold up but I heartily disagree. The Attitude Era is kicked off big time with everyone involved putting on their best effort with the fate of the company at stake.
23: The only Wrestlemania I’ve ever seen live, one of the greatest nights of my life.
1. IX: No redeeming value whatsoever.
2. V: The most tedious Wrestlemania ever with a great main event saving it from worst ever.
3. IV: A better paced but still largely tedious show with no good matches. Might actually be worse that V but I’ve watched V in its entirety more recently.
4. II: Largely awful show with a few redeeming matches.
5. 13: My favorite match ever saves it from worst ever status.
5. Mania 11. BBB vs Taylor main event. Are they serious?
4. Mania 4. No heat, bad tournament, terrible show.
3. Mania 7. Hogan vs Slaughter tops a crap card
2. Mania 2. Susan St James personifies it.
1. Mania 9. Ross in a toga says it all.
5. Mania 8. Bret vs Piper & Savage vs Flair. Damn good show.
4. Mania 10. Owen vs Bret & Ladder match. Great stuff.
3. Mania 14. Austin vs HBK was great, Taker vs Kane was good, Rock vs Shamrock was good, HHH vs Owen was
2. Mania 17. Amazing card. Start to finish. Just beaten out.
1. Mania 19. Tag match was fun, Matt vs Rey was last important cruiserweight match, Brock vs Kurt was awesome, Shawn vs Jericho stole the show, Rock vs Austin was amazing, even Hogan vs Vince was great.
5. Wrestlemania IV- There is something about a tourney. It needs to happen again!
4. Wrestlemania VIII- I love this one because it was the first one I saw. It stole my wrestlemania v-card. Sid and Hogan for some reason is my favorite. It sucks but I love it.
3. Wrestlemania 24- Last year had some really great matches. How can you beat Flair/HBK?
2.Wrestlemania III- No real shock, the matches are great here.
1. Wrestlemania X7- Every match on this PPV was great from beginning to end. Stone Cold and theRock was an amazing match. TLC was great, everything was spot on here.
My favorite match of all time and all mania is the iron man match from Wrestlemania 12. Amazing match. STILL my all time favorite. That mania wasn’t very good but that match will stand the test time!
5. Wreslemania IX – The look was cool and the theme was awesome but the show was terrible. Every match was just ok if not worse. Plus its the day I starting hating Hulk Hogan.
4. Wrestlemania 2 – Too long. I got really bored with this mania.
3. Wrestlemania 21 – was OK. It had a few good matches but overall seemed lacking
2. Wrestlemania X- despite the opening match being great and the ladder match, nothing else really pops out in my memory as being very good.
1. Wrestlemania XI- I don’t think I like one match from Wrestlmania 11. The I Quit was lame, Michaels/Diesel was ok but nothing special and the LT match with Bam Bam wasn’t bad it just should not have been the main event.